Monday, October 26, 2015

Week 10. The Digestive and Endocrine Systems Lab



My virtual daily menu

Have you noticed that instead of Food Pyramid we now have an Eat Well Plate? Here it is!



Journal Entries:


1) Explain why the menu of food choices you made is nutritious, meaning the food choices follow the government's recommendations for Calories and nutrients.

I believe that the choices I have made are nutritious because I have included all of the recommended food groups. I also have no Trans Fats, and I think it is a good thing.  I also have plenty of protein intake, so I will have enough energy to go about my daily routine 

2)  How does a 2 000 Calorie daily menu compare to your recommended Calorie intake amount on the chart? What would you do to your 2 000 Calorie menu to make it better match your recommended Calorie intake?

From the chart, I was recommended the 2,000 calory diet. So in that region I am doing pretty good. Because it is an average of what I do eat, some days I have more or less depending on the amount of the physical activity. Looks like I can afford some additional calories so a chocolate chunk will be a great treat as a snack. 

3) How can you use the Nutrition Facts label to make healthy decisions?

The obvious reason not to eat something if it has more than 50% of any of one nutrient. If there is too much fat or salt, it is going to hurt you sooner or later. But, if there is not enough of something, like o% fat or 0% calcium. It is also not good because you are not getting the needed "supply". So depends on what you eat, you can use these labels as your guide and make the decision based on your personal needs, and not because some commercial told you to eat it. 

4) Did the menu you created contain the foods you like to eat? Explain why or why not.

Absolutely. I would not be choosing something I will choke on (as can't eat it because it is too gross). Everybody should eat what they like. Otherwise, it will be no "fun" to eat. The moderation is the key. I love caramel ice cream, but I will not be eating it all day long. Because I also like the bread and the meat, and the salads. I can have different foods every day, and I will not get bored with it. Also, the snacks can bring great variety to your daily meals. Different fruit, different kind of nuts, different veggies. 

5) Does any of the items you selected provide more than 30% in any nutritional area? If so, which foods and which nutrients? Why did you choose those foods?

I have all of the areas above the 30% mark. Except the trans fats one. That one has 0%.
As I went back and retried my diet, I don't have any one ingredient that is over 30% on anything. But combining them all brings it up. So if I chose cheese and the refried beans, I don't think I am overdoing it on anything because tomorrow I will not do not have the same food. Plus, I chose these foods because I love to eat them. 

6) What did you notice about the nutrients in fast foods?

Most of the offered fast foods contain almost half of the daily value of one ingredient or many. Most have too much of salt, and almost all have lots of fats. 

7) What did you notice about the food group icons in your Daily Meals area? Did you favor a particular food group? Explain.

All of the icons correspond mostly to the five food groups. Grains, Dairy, Protein, Vegetables, and Fruits. The subcategory Oils, Fats and Candies seem to bundle the others all together, so it doesn't matter if you chose a tomato or a refried beans, you got yourself a vegetable! 
I think I favored the Vegetable group. All other groups are equally present. I love variety; that is why I have a little of everything on my plate.




Works Sited:

"The Digestive and Endocrine Systems." The Digestive and Endocrine Systems. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.

"Food Pyramid & Portion Sizes." SoFaB Kids Camp. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.






1 comment: